Saturday, November 01, 2008

Bishop Dolegiewicz Dies

Shot putter admitted his steroid use
Dolegiewicz, 55, died this week in Utah
Oct 31, 2008 04:30 AM

by Randy Starkman SPORTS REPORTER (The Star)

Canadian shot putter Bishop Dolegiewicz, a three-time Olympian who had a larger-than-life personality to match his mountainous physique, died Tuesday night in his sleep at the age of 55.
Dolegiewicz, a Toronto native who starred at Parkdale Collegiate, won two gold medals at the Pan Am Games, two silver medals at the Commonwealth Games and 13 medals at Canadian championships. He was 11th at the 1984 L.A. Olympics and fourth in 1980 in a world's strongest man contest.
He was later stripped of his Canadian shot put record after admitting during the Dubin Inquiry to using steroids for more than a decade.
Dolegiewicz, who had success as a coach at Southern Utah University, was suffering from cardio and circulation problems. He died in Lehi, Utah, leaving behind his wife Anna, 30, a thrower he coached.
Former teammate Bruce Pirnie said Dolegiewicz's testimony at the Dubin Inquiry, where he also admitted to supplying steroids to athletes, cost him his coaching job at the University of Saskatchewan and took a toll on his health. Justice Charles Dubin also died this week.
"It's definitely (a coincidence) that Bish and Justice Dubin should pass away at the same time," said Pirnie, adding that Dolegiewicz had a positive coaching legacy in Canada. "Saskatchewan still sees the benefit of Bish's imprint. They turn out more throwers than anyone in the country."
Former Canadian discus champ Rob Gray was saddened by the news. "Whatever you say about the guy, he was a great competitor, a mountain of a man and a great athlete," said Gray, who also admitted to steroid use. "He was a big, strong guy because he worked his butt off and showed us how hard you had to work to get to the next level. It's hard to call him a role model, but he was in some ways."
Dolegiewicz told the inquiry he regretted using steroids because of the toll it had on his mind and body and that as a coach he strongly warned athletes against them.
"I give people the examples of individuals that I have known that have gotten sick from the use of steroids and I try to come across and give the kids the message, `Look, you're going to pay the price at some point in time,'" Dolegiewicz said during his testimony.
Pirnie said he had been pondering whether steroids had a role in Dolegiewicz's health issues. "I would be very surprised if there wasn't a connection," he said.
Gray said, "I suspect it has got a lot more to do with that he was a 6-foot-6, 330-pound man who was probably overweight."

-30-


THE BIG ONE
Terrible headline as his claim to fame was that he was the greatest thrower in Canadian history. We called him the "Big One" as he was the biggest and strongest of us all. Athletics Canada wiped out his career achievements for telling the truth at the Dubin inquiry (funny how all the liars at the inquiry and those who avoided testifying still have their tainted performances recognized). I can't believe that Athletics Canada has already taken down their announcement of his passing -possibly as a result of the Star headline ? Athletics Canada should reinstate his performances instead of pretending he didn't exist like they are doing again. He will live on in my memories always as a mentor,friend,training partner and teamate. He was a great man who accomplished a great deal and I would hope that his memory shouldn't be tarnished by the fact that he admitted to doing what everyone was and is still doing to reach the highest levels of sport. Rob Gray
Posted By Rob Gray at 4:47 PM Friday, October 31 2008
---------
I remember Bish
As someone who did look upon Bishop as a role model being a young thrower in the 70's with a modicum of success in the 80's I am saddened at the loss of an old friend, former room mate and training partner. Despite any admissions of errors by Bish I will always recall the gentle giant who helped me along, the hours spent working out in California as the sun went down, bbq's in Dallas, the friend and role model. Shame on anyone who has hind sight sanctimonius judgement, look in the mirror. My condolences to his wife and family.
Posted By jharkness at 11:08 AM Friday, October 31 2008

-30-

Dolegieweicz admitted his drug use and if the pictures on the internet are recent, it seems that he continued to use them.
Bishop played a large part in speedying the evolution of throwing events in Canada, and deserves to be remembered.

The story of this death was posted on www.athletics .ca the website of Canadian Track and Field. It was taken down. That's unfortunate. Bishop, like Ben, is a recognized figure, and he lived his life in this country. Both men, although acknowledged drug users, lived and deserve to be recognized. To ignore Bishop's death is pretending it never happened.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the pleasure of training with The Big Guy. He was discribed as the most mass ever assembled on one poteum. The fish frys we had at my parents house with all the throwers in Dallas was a great time. Bish was always kind and considerate of others. He trained hard, and was positive about life, he'll be missed by many.

Ross_76102@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Wow...I just heard about this and I dont think, after reading all of the comments on here, that I can compare my story to thaose of you who knew Bish even better than I. I was a young HS shotput prodigy that had a lot of raw talent, but not much work ethic. I had thrown 15.90m (50ft??) as a HS freshman (12lb) and was introduced to Bishop as he was hired by the Saskatchewan TF Assoc in 1987. I had never heard of him and was scared to death of this "man" (mountain?) that wanted to coach me fulltime. Nevertheless I trusted the STFA and began training with Bishop in the Winter of 1987. He was a miracle worker... In 3 short months, I went frfom throwing 15.86m with the 4k SP to 16m with the 12lb HS shot. My bench was 170 for 8 in December and 250 for 6 by July. But stats were not all. My confidence levels for a big awkward (out of shape :)....) young man soared as Bishop not only taught me the ways of the circle but the lessons in life. I credit BD for making me who I am today. Confident, cocky at times (just like Bish but with respect), and willing to help others as he helped me. Our relationship took us (and me ) to two World Junior CHampionships (88 and 90) where I placed respectably in SP (12th in 1990 - 16.73m).

There is something that has been mentioned in a lot ofo these comments but I want to make perfectly clear. Despite the fact that BD was invovled with steroids in the 70s and early 80s, HE NEVER EVER brought the subject up with me or any other thrower in our group other than to say they were wrong. He grew up as an athlete in a time where steroids were accepted practice and he was part of the rule not the exception. He became the sacrificial lamb at the Dubin Inquiry and people (some friends) turned on him. That was sad.

Bishop, as I know your reading a lot of these, while downing a few "beverages", understand that I never doubted you and missed you terribly when you had to leave Saskatchewan because of all the "bad press".

He was a coach, mentor, father figure, gentle giant and best of all, a friend.

My prayers are with Anna and I look forward to the day I leave this world and can have another meal and a drink and a laugh with my friend, Bish.

Salut and God Bless

Quinn Magnuson

Anonymous said...

I was very close to bish for 5 years before his passing. I just want to clear a few things up. 1. He was not over weight when he passed. About 6' 5" 270lbs. The most impressive looking 55 year old i've seen. 2. There is a portion stating that he was recently using steroids. That is completely false. He trained his ass off in the weight room until he had trouble with illness and physically couldn't anymore. He was an amazing person and will forever be remembered in the hearts of many. I just wanted to make sure no one got the wrong idea. Thank you. RIP Bish.

Anonymous said...

I had the good fortune to train (briefly) with Bishop in the late 70's and early 80's. He was generous and humorous, smart and insightful. He had a talent for bringing out the best in others.

Bish Strength said...

My name is Anna Dolegiewicz. I am Bishop Dolegiewicz's widow. I am here to tell the story of how Bish really passed away and share his attitude of perseverance through tough times.

Bish stated that he would coach until he died. His last day he was out having fun, laughing and joking as usual, and coaching.

Bishops death was a result of a long list over 9 years dealing with blood clots and medical mistakes. Bish ended up having a blood clot go from his legs to his lungs (pulmonary embolism) which cause a fatal heart rhythm.

Bish would roll in his grave to know that anyone would even associate any kind of steroid use with his death. Steroid use had absolutely nothing to do with how he passed.

Bish was an inspiration to many young athletes. He taught them to always better themselves. He stated that he would always be the one "wearing the white hat" fighting for good. He was always helping others and would never turn down anyone asking for help.

One of the most impressive statements was from a mother of one of Bish's athletes. This mother stood up at his funeral and spoke of how her son was not the best athlete. In fact, her son was usually dead last in the race. But there Bish was.. with his stop watch... Yelling.. "Your faster this time. Great job. This is a PR!" That mother was grateful because her son was on his way to getting kicked out of school due to bad grades. It was Bish who made track fun and helped her son stay in school. The kid wanted so much to stay on the track team and he kept his grades up.

Bish would always tell young athletes to look to themselves and not to compare against others. And to just try to do a little better each day. Before you know it you are achieving great things.

Bish was my mentor, my husband, and one of the most loyal persons you could ever meet. I am grateful that I have had the chance to learn from literally one of the best athletes and coaches in the World.

My goal is to continue to pass on any strength training and throwing knowledge that I have learned from several World class athletes. Bishop left a great legacy with all those who he shared his passion with.

I love to hear stories and see pictures that you may have of you and Bishop.

I can be found on facebook under my name or by email: bishstrength@hotmail.com


Anna Dolegiewicz

Bish Strength said...

For those who wish to read a more detailed version....Bish's medical issues that lead to his death and how he performed as a World Class athlete despite physical pain are below.


The medical issues started with a fall on a motorcycle in his 30's. He broke his hip and did nothing about it. Bish's attitude was.. that hurts but he kept going.

When your a world class athlete you do things that most would not. Bish blew out 2 heads of his deltoid and part of his trapezius doing the bar bend at the World Strongest Man competition in 1980. Bish still had 4 events left and still competed in those events and finished 4th place that year.

One doctor stated that Bishop should not be even physically able to make the motion to throw the shot put. That doctor ended up documenting Bish in medical journals stating how he performed under those conditions. Bish was still competing on a World class level at the time.

Bish ended up having a hip replacement in 2000 due to wear of the hip bone after the break of the hip years ago. When Bish went through hip replacement surgery he ended up with a massive blood clot running the entire femoral vein. And so.. doctors put him on a blood thinner.

Years later in 2004, Bish tweaked a lower psoas muscle doing an abdominal workout. Bish wanted to get in an extra good workout just before a vacation! This happened just before our trip to the US Nationals Championships. This was the first National Championships that I had qualified for and Bish wanted to make sure I was able to compete.

The blood thinners he was on combined with the muscle tear caused a major bleed out in both legs. Bish nearly died at this time having levels that were off the charts. Bish ended up having compartment syndrome on top of severe neuropathy due to this bleed out.

Bish refused to go to the hospital until we made it from Utah to California. Bish was so stubborn he would not let me stop as he wanted me to get to that track meet. Bish stated that he would die for me and in a sense he really did. He cared so much that I competed in the track meet to the point that he overlooked severe pain. Doing so eventually led to be fatal.

His lower extremities turned black and blue and the end result was extremely painful. It hurt to wear jeans as the touch of the fabric was too much for his legs. Bish described it as though his legs felt like hot melting wax 24/7. The nerve damage was much more painful than any of the breaks and muscle tears Bish endured through his life. Bish considered himself to have a high pain tolerance. He continued to coach for 3 more years although it was all he could bear to make it to workout.

At 6'6' tall, full of muscle, in my opinion, Bish looked skinny at 275 lbs. At 300 lbs and 55 years old he had a great physique.

I have had several emails stating that Bish helped them become who they are. That they were an Olympic athlete because of Bish. I love hearing from you!


I can be found on facebook under my name or by email: bishstrength@hotmail.com


Anna Dolegiewicz